OUR MISSION: To lead a unified effort for a hunger-free New York State.
WHAT WE DO
Feeding New York State leads the work to end hunger by:
- Supporting the ten food banks of New York State by managing statewide grants
- Sourcing food for our food banks
- Partnering with farmers and the food industry to encourage donations
- Fostering relationships with government at all levels
- Partnering with other anti-hunger organizations to ensure every community in New York state has access to good, healthy food
- Educating the public on hunger issues
- Researching and sharing best practices among food banks
WHAT IS A FOOD BANK
A food bank is a charitable organization that acquires, sorts, stores and distributes food to various community hunger prevention organizations. These community groups include food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, after school nutrition programs and a variety of other emergency food relief organizations. The Food Banks of New York State provide millions of pounds of food to New York’s neediest each year, through thousands of hunger prevention programs. Without the food bank network, these programs would face food and resource shortages, leaving millions of people hungry.
WHERE DO FOOD BANKS GET THEIR FOOD
Food banks get their food through donations, salvaged products and purchases. Donations come from large and small donors alike – from individuals, small community food drives, New York farmers and private companies. Often times food banks are given salvage food items that are only superficially damaged, meaning that the food is perfectly edible but the packages or cans may have some cosmetic damage. Food banks also receive surplus commodities from the federal government (USDA) and aid from New York State’s Hunger Prevention and Nutrition Assistance Program (HPNAP) that assist in the direct purchase of nutritious food, dairy products, and fresh fruits and vegetables. While we do receive help from these large organizations, our main support comes from thoughtful people who donate time, food and money.